Thursday, March 24, 2011

CHICKEN STOCK

Strain the liquid after it has been simmering for as long as you can.  The directions say 6-8 hours.  Well, that is what the directions say but sometimes we just don't have that amount of time.  I line my colander with cheesecloth and strain the broth as many times that you want.  Let it cool a bit then ladle into small covered containers.  I store them on the door of the freezer and when a recipe calls for stock I take it out, defrost in the microwave and I can save money and I got the most use out of that chicken.  It taste better then store bought. 

Roast Chicken Broth

Leftover bones, skin and meat from a chicken
using a muslin bag add:

2 carrots quartered
1/4 cup dried onion or 1 small onion quartered
1 Tbsp garlic powder
1 tsp dried thyme
1 tsp dried basil
1 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp dried rosemary
1/4 tsp ground pepper

Combine all in a saucepan large enough for the bones etc, add enough water to cover. Add your bag of spices and simmer for 6-8 hours. Strain your broth and store in freezer zip lock bags or plastic rubbermaid freezer containers.


1 comment:

  1. This is great. I used to do this with the turkey leftovers too. Makes great stock. Thanks for the reminder! :)

    ReplyDelete