Tuesday, November 1, 2011

RED VELVET CAKE

This is a birthday cake for me.  My favorite daughter Morgan sent me this new cook book.  Desserts from the famous LOVELESS Cafe in Nashville's Landmark Restaurant.  Written by Alisa Huntsman.  I will be baking my way thru this book for sure.  It's pies, puddings, cakes and cobblers from the restaurant. 
Many say this is a cake for Valentine's Day.  But I couldn't wait until February to make it.....I have never made a Red Velvet Cake before, so I was in for a surprise.  I loved it.  Can you see the red color, but it's a chocolate cake.  This cake is a little different than a lot of the recipes that I have seen.  It's made with dark brown sugar.  
The frosting could of been a bit thicker, and I think I could of done a better job.  So,  don't pick on me.  Morgan sent me a link to a blog called whisk-kid.com on how to frost a cake.  All I ever do is cupcakes.  I'll do better next time.  I promise.  But, the cake is a keeper for sure. And it was very tasty, moist red velvet Cake.  Happy Baking Andi
   

Red Velvet Cake
Desserts from the Famous Loveless Cafe
Nashville's Landmark Restaurant
copyright 2011



2 1/2 cups cake flour
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (not Dutch process)
1 tsp baking soda
2 tablespoons ( 1 ounce) liquid red food color
King Arthur Flour says 1 tsp of gel food coloring equals 2 ounces of liquid food coloring)
1 cup buttermilk
2 1/2 sticks of unsalted butter, softened
2 cups packed dark brown sugar
1 tsp of vanilla extract
1/2 tsp salt
2 whole eggs plus 2 egg yolks
1 tbsp of distilled white or cider vinegar

Icing: Cream cheese icing
10 ounces cream cheese
1 stick plus 2 tbsp of unsalted butter, softened
5 cups confectioners' sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract


1. Grease and flour two 8 or 9 inch pans. You can line the bottoms with parchment paper if you wish. Remember to grease the paper also. Set aside.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a medium size bowl, add the flour, cocoa, and baking soda and whisk this.
3. In a small bowl combine the buttermilk and the food color and mix and set aside.
4. Using your stand mixer add the softened butter, and cream this with the light brown sugar on low speed until light and fluffy. Mix this for about 3-5 minutes.
5. Next add the eggs and yolks slowly and continue to mix. Scrape the sides and bottom of bowl to make sure all is incorporated.
6. With the mixer on low speed, slowly add the dry ingredients along with some of the buttermilk and continue until all the ingredients have been added. Add the vinegar last by hand. Be sure to scrape the sides of bowl down to the bottom of bowl so that all the ingredients are mixed well. You don't want your cake batter streaked.
7. Bake at 350 degrees in a preheated oven. Divide the batter between the 2 cake pans. Bake for about 35 minutes but check often. When a cake tester inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean then it is done. Or if it springs back in center when lightly touched with your finger. Just don't overbake your cake.
Allow the cakes to cool on a rack for about 10-15 minutes. Then carefully run a knife around the outer edge and flip the cake and allow to cool completely before icing.

To make your icing:
With the mixer on low speed add the softened cream cheese, butter and vanilla. Mix then slowly add the confectioners' sugar and mixing until it is the consistency you desire.

I have shared this with
Nikki at chef-n-training.blogspot.com

this chick cooks
Mrs. Fox Sweets  
cupcakeapothecary
   

6 comments:

  1. What a lovely cake! All of my Red Velvet Cakes have always turned out really dry. I am determined to make a moist one! I'll give this one a try. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! It's been awhile since I've made red velvet. I may have to give it a go now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks wonderful, I have never made a red velvet from scratch, only a mix. That sounds like a great cookbook! Happy birthday to you!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing this recipe Andi. Pat

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a nice looking cake, I would like to try to make one. Come help me andi

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks delicious! I would love to beke more but it is just the two of us and I am afraid I will eat it all!

    xoxo Bunny Jean

    ReplyDelete