Sunday, January 30, 2011

Chocolate Donuts

In my early childhood my mom helped at a donut shop, I would go with her,  I always had a chocolate sugared donut and chocolate milk.  In my later years when living out of the state of Maine I never found a chocolate donut that I liked,  so when I would come back to visit that would be first on my list.  A Chocolate Sugared donut.   And today I can make my own and these are sugared, crunchy, and very good.  Today my taste testers, Tim, Heidi and Em and Deb came by today to enjoy these donuts.  Its always a pleasure to cook something good and others to enjoy the flavors of what you made. So for that I thank you.   

Chocolate Donuts
All Maine Cooking
Collection of treasured recipes from the Pine Tree State
Copyright 1967
3 squares of unsweetened baking chocolate
3 tbsp butter
2 eggs
1 1/4 cup sugar
1 cup buttermilk
2 tsp vanilla
3 1/2 cups flour
1 1/4 tsp soda
3 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp cinnamon
In a double boiler melt the chocolate and butter. Add the remaining ingredients in a large bowl then add the melted chocolate. Mix and place in refrigerator for a few hours or overnight. On a floured pastry board sprinkle with a little flour and roll out to about 1/2 inch thick. Melt shortening in your large deep sided spider, heat the oil to about 360 degrees. Fry a few at a time till dark brown, making sure they are cooked inside. Remove to a paper towel lined pan and allow to cool. Then coat with sugar.
I had to change the recipe a bit, my first attempt the dough was very sticky so I reduced the amount of buttermilk and increased the flour. Second attempt was successful.

I haven’t added any recipes to this blog for a long time.   And the ways for posting have changed. I can’t even reply to your message.  

Sorry about the message but I can’t find the cookbook so I’d suggest starting with 3/4 cup buttermilk.  Good luck.  

1 comment:

  1. I remember these donuts in Maine. Can't wait to make them. One question, your last paragraph said you changed the amounts of flour and buttermilk for a less sticky donut. Does the recipe here reflect that change?

    ReplyDelete