Sunday, January 2, 2011

PORK PIE

I went to a christmas gathering, and never having had Pork Pie before I knew I needed to try this.  I was impressed.  My husband grew up with pork pie and said that all he ever tasted was fat.  Not this pie.  I had to get the recipe and try one at home.   I had been given this recipe sometime ago from a work partner.  So I was ready to go.  I love the little piggy cut-outs I used.  Cute?  I sent a piece over to my Canadian friend who said this was the best and ordered 2 for her Thanksgiving celebration.    So the pork pie has arrived in Maine. 



Pork Pie
Chef jean Gaba,  St. Martha's in Kennebunk

1 1/2 pounds of ground lean fresh pork 
1/2 cup water
1/4 tsp garlic powder   
1 cup chopped onions
1/2 cup shredded raw carrots                                       
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper                                                        
1/2 tsp dry mustard
1/2 tsp sage                                                           
1/2 tsp thyme
1 cup mashed unseasoned potato                            
1/2 cup chopped almonds (optional)
pastry for 2 crust pie

Combine the pork, water and garlic powder in a heavy frying pan, cover and simmer for 45 minutes.
While this is simmering, make your mashed potatoes.  After the 45 minutes add to the pork, your carrots, salt and pepper, mustard, sage, thyme and onion and simmer for 15 minutes. 
Add the mashed potato and mix.  Allow to cool a bit.
Prepare your pie plate with either homemade crust or purchased pie crust.  I used a cookie cutter in shape of pig and cut the pieces out of the top crust. If you are using a solid crust for the top make sure to make slits in top crust to allow steam to escape.   Bake for about 30-35 minutes or until golden brown.  Serve hot.  Serve with cranberry sauce. 

No comments:

Post a Comment