Sunday, March 6, 2011

SPICE DONUTS

Spice Donuts
Farm Journal Country Fair cookbook
copyright 1984

Thanks to all my taste testers today, Tim & Heidi and Emily, Greg & penny and Ashly, Dick and myself the donuts are gone.  That is the way to cook,  enjoyed and yes they did have more then one or even two.  Spicy, warm and delicious.  Wonder if I could add some apple pieces to the dough?   Thank you Heidi for the antique donut cutter.  I really appreciate this, and it works just fine.  




3 1/2 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp ground mace
4 egg yolks
1 cup sugar
2 tbsp softened butter
scant cup of buttermilk 3/4 to 1 cup
1 tsp rum extract

topping to roll the hot donuts in:
3/4 cup sugar
1 tsp cinnamon



In a good size bowl, add the egg yolks, butter, and 1 cup sugar. Mix until light in color. Add the sifted ingredients and mix by hand just enough to incorporate all the ingredients. On a lightly floured board kneed this dough just enough to make it soft, and smooth. Place in a bowl cover with saran wrap and place in refrigerator for at least one hour prior to frying. I made the dough the night before and took out of refrigerator about 1 hour before I was going to start to roll the dough and fry. Roll on lightly floured board to about 3/8 to 1/2 inch thick. Using your deep fat fryer fry until golden brown with the fat at 375 degrees. Fry just a few at a time, and turning them once. Then drain on paper towels and roll in the cinnamon and sugar mixture.


1 comment:

  1. Hi Andi,

    Thanks for the recipe! I actually went out and bought a small deep fryer to use exclusively for doughnuts. Now I want to try it out. I forgot to buy Crisco, though. Anyway, I think I'm going to try this recipe today. I'll let you know how it goes.

    ReplyDelete