Saturday, May 7, 2011

TUNA CASSSEROLE

I love any dish that has pasta in it.  So a favorite that was made by my mother growing up was Tuna Casserole.  Her's was the cream of mushroom soup, mayo, peas but I always liked it.  Today knowing that my hubby doesn't care for it I still made it with a back up dish for dinner for him.  He can eat last nights left overs.  I need to try this version.  And I am happy to say I am glad I did. Happy hands in the kitchen. Isn't it wonderful to make a dish and enjoyed.  The olives take this casserole to another level.  I added more tuna, because I can.  And he ate it and even liked it...this is my new tuna casserole. 


Not your average Tuna Casserole
The Old Farmer's Almanac Cookbook
Copyright 2008


1 tbsp butter
1/3 cup chopped celery
1/4 cup chopped onion
3 1/2 cups uncooked egg noodles
1 can (12 ounce) drained and flaked tuna fish
1 1/4 cup chopped mushrooms
20 extra large pitted black olives, sliced
1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
black pepper
1 1/2 cup sour cream
Topping:
3/4 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
6-8 pitted black olives, sliced

Makes 6 servings. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Saute the onions and celery in the butter til soft. Cook the egg noodles according to package directions and drain then place in a large bowl. Add the tuna, sliced olives, shredded cheese, season with pepper. Stir the sour cream into this mixture. Place in a prepared baking dish. Sprinkle with the 3/4 cup cheese and place the remaining olives on top and bake for 25-30 minutes or until bubbly.

shared with
chef-n-training    momscrazycooking   caroleschatter

5 comments:

  1. I love Tuna Casserole and I plan to try this one. Thanks for these fun and tasty recipes.
    Mrs Loon

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks very tasty! I found your blog through the Ina's Garden linkup. Look forward to reading your future posts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful tuna casserole. I grew up on tuna casserole but have not made it for a while. You have convinced me to make it again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi there - I found you via the Ina's Garden linky! I love the sound of your tuna casserole, especially with the black olives and Monterey Jack cheese - yum!

    ReplyDelete
  5. All the kids raised in the 50's had tuna casserole... not saying YOU are that old ;) That and creamed chipped beef on toast points!

    My husband always teases me when I say "tuna fish" when referring to canned tuna, but that's what my mom called it!

    xoxo Bunny Jean

    ReplyDelete