Saturday, December 1, 2012

GINGERBREAD CUPCAKES WITH FLUFFY WHITE ICING

Portland, Maine woke to a light falling of snow this morning and it continued all day, and I couldn't think of anything better to do on a snowy day then bake Gingerbread Cupcakes. I saw these gingerbread cupcakes on Pinterest some time ago and fell in love.  I found the recipe for the gingerbread in a old cookbook called "Favorite Recipes of America" Desserts dated 1968. 

Can you smell these? 

Love the smell of gingerbread and nothing says christmas  more to me then gingerbread.......... The kitchen smelled so good with the scent of gingerbread in the oven, then I made gingerbread cookies to use on the top.  I cheated and used a box mix of gingerbread and followed the directions for the cookies on the back of the box. I baked them a little longer so they are a firm cookie. I used a gingerbread, star and and a little christmas tree cookie cutters.

I called my neighbor, Heidi.  Want to blow your diet today?  What diet!  Come on over I have some cupcakes I made and I need to have a tester to try them.  They are very good, past the test, moist and full of flavor and a keeper for sure.  What a sport she is, she comes running when I call!  I sent her home with more for the family....along with Blueberry Cream Cheese bread that will be posted later this week.  

The icing is a favorite of mine, my mother used to make a chocolate wakey cake and this frosting is what she always used.  It can be used in whoopie pies also.  It's fluffy,  creamy and not overly sweet.  It needs to be kept in the refrigerator because of the milk that is used in the recipe.        





1/2 cup butter, softened to room temperature
1 cup white sugar
1 cup molasses
2 eggs, separated
3 cups cake flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp soda
2 tsp ginger
2 tsp cinnamon
1 cup buttermilk

PRINT RECIPE
Cream butter, add sugar and cream until light and smooth.  Add the molasses and the beaten egg yolks (save the whites for later)  continue to mix until blended.  In another bowl add the flour, salt, baking soda, ginger and cinnamon and whisk this together to combine.  Measure out the buttermilk and alternately mix the dry flour and the buttermilk into the molasses mix. Mix until blended.  Beat the egg whites until soft peaks form then fold this into the cake batter.  Pour into a well greased and floured 9-inch cake pan or cake mold.  I made cupcakes and lined 24 muffin tins with papers. 



Fluffy White Icing   ( double this for a 2 layer cake)
4 TBSP flour
1 cup of milk
In a small saucepan add the flour and milk and using a whisk, whisk this over medium heat until a thick paste is formed. Cover to prevent the skin from forming.  Place in the refrigerator until cold.  

Using your stand mixer, add
1/2 cup shortening
1/2 cup butter
1 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla
In your mixer add the shortening and the butter, and mix, and mix more.   Add the sugar and vanilla and mix and mix more scraping down the sides of the bowl often.   Then add the cold flour paste and mix, and mix and still mix until light and fluffy.  It takes a bit of mixing to dissolve the sugar crystals. But if you mix long enough the icing will come together. 


                                        Happy Baking my friends,  Andi 

Sharing with

Sunday Church Supper
Flour me with Love

Melt in your Mouth
Carolyn's Homework
Crazy for Crust
Mz. Helen's Country Cottage

Stonegable
     
Everyday Mom's Meals

9 comments:

  1. And ithese vupcakes look georgeous I love them!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Drooling! Enough said :)I love gingerbread! Thanks for sharing at Church Supper. Have a blessed week & come back soon ~EMM

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh my goodness! these sound wonderful!
    Love the photos!!

    Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will trust you that these taste delicious as I've never been a fan of gingerbread. They look delicious, though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love how cute these are! Your little gingerbread are a perfect topper! So sweet!

      Delete
  5. Andi,
    Hi! Sounds really yummy. & They look so cute!
    Have a good week-end.
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just came upon your Blog from Pinterest. You have some wonderful recipes and I can't wait to try so many!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats, your recipe was the most viewed at Church Supper on Everyday Mom's Meals last week. It's being featured this week. Please drop by, grab a button and share something again!
    https://twitter.com/everydaymomsmls/status/277635705080016896

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Andi,
    What a lovely presentation for your awesome Gingerbread Cupcakes. The little Gingerbread Men are just precious. Hope you have a great week and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete