Thursday, June 5, 2014

VANILLA DREAM CAKE and a little quilting and sewing



I found a pretty picture of a cake on Pinterest.  It made me wonder,  I need a recipe for a Vanilla cake so I checked it out over at the the novice chef vanilla-dream-cake.  She has a ton of replies to her cake, both positive and negative.  Well,  I have tried several recipes from various blogs some are wonderful and will make again and others were total disasters!    I was interested in the process of making this cake, it's made in a saucepan.  Sounds a little different.  It starts by making a simple syrup. 

I had no problem making this cake, everything came out nice.  I love it, and will be a keeper for me.  I would suggest making this cake and keep in refrigerator, I think it tasted better the next day. So before you are ready to serve your cake take it out of the refrigerator and bring to room temperature. Allow to sit on counter for about 30 minutes.       


                                                   the novice chef vanilla-dream-cake


Vanilla Dream Cake

bake at 350 degrees for about 25-30 minutes, but test by using the toothpick or a cake tester

2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
2 cups water
2 cups sugar
6 TBSP of butter
2 TBSP of vegetable oil
1 TBSP of vanilla extract
1 vanilla bean, scraped
2 large eggs

In a bowl add the dry ingredients and whisk them together and set aside. 
In a medium saucepan add the water and the sugar.   Bring this mixture to a simmer and stir until the sugar is dissolved.  This will take about 1 minute.  Remove from the heat and add the butter  (I cut the butter in slices and stir in the sugar mixture until melted.

Let this cool for awhile about 5 minutes ( oh it may of been a little longer)  away from heat source then add the oil, vanilla extract and the scrapping of the vanilla bean.  Quickly beat in the eggs (do this fast so that you don't cook the eggs) I used a small bowl and cracked the eggs and added to the mixture. I used my hand mixer to mix the ingredients. 
Then whisk in the dry ingredients. (I used my hand mixer).  The batter is thin.   Divide the batter between 2 greased and floured 8 inch cake pans.   Bake for about 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center of cake comes out clean.   Cool in the pans then when cool to the touch remove each cake and frost 

Frosting:
1 cup of room temperature butter  (2 sticks)
3 cups of powered sugar
1 TBSP of vanilla extract
and up to 3 TBSP of milk adding a little at a time 


Best served at room temperature




I've been doing a little quilting and sewing this winter................



this is a  fabric and wool wall hanging 


my love of rag dolls her hair is made with jute twine


made one for Morgan and another for Amanda 

No comments:

Post a Comment