Sunday, January 16, 2011

AMERICAN CHOP SUEY

A good hearty meal, quick and on the table fast. This was made by my mom many times while growing up. My brother would eat it for breakfast. I had to have it in my "The Wednesday Baker" recipes. This is the meal I tend to go back to when "what's for dinner" tonight.  American Chop Suey. Several people have their own directions but this is how I make it.  Marjorie Standish cookbooks can be purchased thur Amazon



In a large covered pot boil water and add about 1 tbsp of oil to the water. After this has come to a boil add about 1 1/2 cups of dry elbow macaroni. Cook according to package directions and drain in colander. In my cast iron "spider" I put a couple of teaspoons of olive oil, and saute 1 small chopped onion. Add 1-1/2 pounds of ground chuck and cook until no longer red.  Drain the fat and add 1 can of chopped tomatoes, either plain or with spices in them.  1 small can of tomato paste, 1 tsp oregano or Italian seasonings, and a pinch of celery seed.  Add the drained elbow macaroni to this and stir to combine. Serve with a tossed salad and sliced bread and you have dinner tonight.



No comments:

Post a Comment