Saturday, March 12, 2011

Cupcakes with Boiled Frosting

I am not much for using cake mixes but I have to confess this recipe is good, they were moist and I would never know it was a cake mix.  So for those bakers who's time is limited this is a great idea.  I do have a couple of recipes that use cake mixes, so I do use cake mixes once in a while.  I would imagine that any cake mix flavor could be used.

Cupcakes   I divided up the batter and used pink gel to half of the batter.  I used my small ice cream scoop and alternated the two batters.   A fun thing to do,  just think you can make cupcakes to coordinate with the holidays.  That would be fun.  Green and white for St. Patty's day. Use color coordinated paper liners and sprinkles of green.  




Cupcakes
From Duncan Hines Moist Cake Mix
http://www.recipegirl.com/

1 Box of Duncan Hines Cake Mix
1 cup flour
1 cup sugar
3/4 tsp salt
1 1/3 cup water
2 tbsp oil
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup sour cream
4 large egg whites

Mix all together in a large bowl and bake at 325 degrees. I made cupcakes and got 2 1/2 dozen. Use could make a 2 layer cake.





Frosting:
Vanilla Boiled Frosting
New York Times
copyright 1961

2 1/2 cups sugar
1/3 cup light corn syrup
1/2 cup water
2 egg whites
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
Using a medium size saucepan, add the sugar, corn syrup and water. Bring this to a boil and boil to 242 degrees. Stir this constantly so the sugar dissolves. In your mixer stand beat the egg whites until stiff and then in a small steady stream add the syrup to the egg whites. Being careful to add the syrup slowly. If this isn't coming together you can add 1 tbsp at a time of confectionary sugar. Don't add too much or you will get that sugar taste. This frosting hardens fast.

No comments:

Post a Comment