Thursday, May 19, 2011

BEER BREAD

They say bread is good for the soul and good for ones stomach so beer bread should be even better.  It's easy, fast, and alcohol free.  The alcohol is baked off so everyone can eat this.  Especially good with a hot bowl of chili.  Depending on the beer flavor that is used it will change color and flavor.  I have made this with blueberry beer and it takes on a taste of blueberry.  I have included two recipes one using regular all-purpose flour and one using self rising flour.  I used the self-rising flour that I had in the pantry for this loaf.  I toasted a big fat slice today with raspberry jam and I liked.  Maybe even have another slice tomorrow morning.  I did find while at the market this week, I picked up one bottle of beer to make this bread.  Only to get to the cash register and discovered that they were going to charge me $3.00 for one bottle of beer, the six pack is only $6.99, so you quessed it I have beer in the house so will be making more bread.  I am not a beer drinker...........I do love this bread.  

Quick & Easy Beer Bread
Creme de Colorado Cookbook
copyright 1987

1/2 cup butter
3 cups self-rising flour
2 tbsp sugar
1 (12 ounce) can or bottle of beer (not light beer)

Makes 1 loaf of bread. Melt the butter in a small microwave dish. Brush the bottom of a 9x5 inch bread pan with some of the butter. In a bigger bowl combine the flour, sugar and pour in the beer. Mix and spoon the batter into the prepared bread pan. Pour the remaining butter over the top of the dough and bake at 350 degrees for 50-60 minutes or until the bread is a light golden brown. Allow this to sit for about 10 minutes before cutting the bread with a serrated knife.


Winnie's Beer Bread

3 cups flour
4 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup sugar
12 ounce can of beer (not light beer)
3 tbsp of melted butter (pour on top of dough)

Mix and place dough in a greased and floured bread pan and pour the melted butter on top. Bake at 350 degrees for about 45 minutes.
I have also used the flavored beers with good results

2 comments:

  1. This is the first time here and I like this blog. It is attractive. The recipes I have seen are interesting and I want to make some. Thanks for going to the work to create this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you very much, Bizzy comments are always welcome. Andi

    ReplyDelete