Saturday, May 28, 2011

ENGAGEMENT CHICKEN

Engagement Chicken
Glamour Magazine
glamour

Well, its a good thing that I am already married because I didn't follow the directions on this chicken.  But it was a success, I had never had lemon chicken before, look at what I have missed all these years.  I loved it. Seasoned just right, but Mr. Chicken did blow out his lemon.  I tried to secure it in the cavity with metal pins, but they didn't hold.  I will make this again for sure.  I heard about this chicken on Oprah's radio station with Gayle King. Gayle's not married, wonder if she is going to be making this soon? Read the article, it's cute.



1 whole chicken (approximately 4 pounds)
1/2 cup fresh lemon juice, plus 2 whole lemons 3 total
1 tbsp sea salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
fresh herbs, 4 rosemary sprigs, 4 sage sprigs, 8 thyme sprigs, and 1 bunch of flat leaf parsley

Remove the whole chicken from the package, rinse well with cold water and allow to drain in a colander for a few minutes. Pre-heat the oven to 400 degrees. Then turn down to 350 degrees when the chicken goes into the oven. Place the chicken in a roasting pan that you have placed your rack into. Pour the lemon juice all over the chicken and season the chicken with the salt and pepper. Using the remaining 2 lemons, roll them on the counter to help get the lemon juice moving, prick the lemons 3 times in 3 different areas and place them deep inside the cavity. After the chicken has baked and is done, allow to sit on the stove top for about 10 minutes.
I used dried herbs and combined them with the lemon juice and the salt and pepper. I then rubbed the chicken inside and out with the juice and the dried herbs. When ready to put in oven turn the oven down to 350 degrees and cook until a meat thermometer reads 180 degrees. Keeping in mind that chicken needs 18-20 minutes per pound. A 4 pound chicken will take about 1 hour 15 minutes.
I used 1 tbsp of dried parsley, 1 tsp each of ground sage and crushed rosemary. I didn't use thyme ( Dick doesn't like it)

No comments:

Post a Comment