Sunday, November 18, 2012

BUTTERNUT SQUASH CASSEROLE

Bringing back a favorite from last years Thanksgiving, I will be making this again in a few days, can't wait.   Happy Thanksgiving to everyone. Have a happy and safe day...........

Do you all like squash? Most do, and it's a staple when planning our Thanksgiving menu. I wouldn't have a Thanksgiving without it along with Aunt Grace's Fruit Salad. I am suggesting to you, if you have never made this type of casserole before, you will not be disappointed. This is the best of the best. I made this this past weekend as a trial for the big feast. I will be making this dish and doubling the recipe. I will also urge my sweet Morgan to try it. She is not a squash eater! I'll eat her portion.....So here goes, read thru the entire recipe before starting this, a few substitutions can be made. I would also suggest going to Chris's blog. Her photgraphs make me drool.  I want to make so many recipes that she has on her page. I printed off a few, Peppermint Fudge, Starbucks Cranberry Bliss Bars, Honey Rice Treats, Apple chips, and Nutcracker Brownies and the list continues.   
Happy Baking and a wonderful Thanksgiving to all my sweet readers.   You all make me happy.......Andi


Butternut Squash Casserole with Streusel Topping
melecotte.com

Look at all that sweetness on top! Yummy

2 lbs of butternut squash
1 tbsp of coconut oil or olive oil  ( I used olive oil)
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
1 tbsp butter (or canola spray)
3/4 cup coconut milk or Cream  (I used light cream)
1 egg
1/4 cup chopped nuts, pecan, hazelnuts,  (I used pecans)
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup brown sugar  (optional, I like sweet things)

Streusel Topping:

1/2 cup hazelnuts, or pecans ( I used pecans)
1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
2 Tbsp flour
1/4 tsp ground ginger
2 Tbsp butter, melted



1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

2. Lined a rimmed baking sheet with foil or parchment paper, peel the squash and cut into chunks. Toss the squash with oil, salt and pepper. I placed this all in a plastic bag then squished it around to cover each piece. Lay this on the prepared baking sheet and bake until just tender and golden brown, about 20-30 minutes. Timing will depend on the size of the cut squash.

3. Remove from oven and transfer to a wire rack to cool. Reduce oven to 350 degrees. When the squash is cool enough to handle, using a bowl and mash the squash with a fork and set aside.

4. Butter a one quart casserole dish, and set aside.

5. In a bowl whisk together the egg, milk, nuts, ginger and salt. If you prefer add the brown sugar to this for a sweeter dish. Add the mashed squash and mix all together. Pour this mixture into the buttered casserole dish.

6. In the same bowl, add the streusel topping ingredients. Sprinkle evenly over squash mixture. Bake at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes until golden brown.



Chris's notes:

* If a sweeter casserole is preferred, add up to 1/4 cup brown sugar to the squash mash before adding the coconut milk.
* You can use any milk, coconut, yogurt, cream or lowfat milk.
* Any nut will work, pecans, almonds, cashews or walnuts.
*You can substitute this with sweet potatoes, parsnips, rutabaga or turnips. (beware of moisture level of turnips)
* If you're going for an individual presentation, rather than family style, fill 4-6 ramekins.

Shared with
Kim at wellseasonedlife.com

sweetsav.blogspot

featured on lets-do-brunch    thank you, this is a favorite of mine...............even over a cookie

10 comments:

  1. Looks like a perfect Thanksgiving dish. Thanks for sharing a great recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, the streusel topping sounds delicious and different that what I was expecting. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh boy, you know I'm a sucker for anything with a streusel topping!!! This looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the blog Andi. Everything (almost) looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds so good, I have plans for this casserole - very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like the look and sound of this, with its lovely nutty topping! I like the suggestion for making individual servings in ramekins as well - they would look just lovely. Thank you for sharing this delicious dish with Let's Do Brunch. I have chosen it as one of my features from last week, and have linked to it in my Let's Do Brunch post today.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This Casserole recipe is making me so hungry! I dont think that I have ever had a recipe with Squash in it, but it sounds yummmy!

    Have a wonderful Thanksgiving week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love squash, and your casserole looks especially delicious! Have a very blessed Thanksgiving!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! What a lovely surprise. Thank you so much for your kind words and for trying the recipe! I am thrilled you enjoyed it.

    Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete