Tuesday, January 22, 2013

KING ARTHUR FRESH APPLE CINNAMON SCONES


It's winter in Maine, not fall and I still made fresh Apple Cinnamon Scones.  The kitchen smelled so good, all that cinnamon almost reminds one of a apple pie baking in the oven.  Yummy, hot off the old press! Great new scone recipe from King Arthur Flour.  

I got to visit King Arthur this past summer, best vacation I have had.  I was super excited to go.  We spent a week in Vermont along with 6 other couples riding motorcycles and enjoying the beautiful state of Vermont.  The boys were very good at looking around King Arthur, Brian says "you probably feel like I do when I visit a Harley Shop?"  Yup, all excited to be in a cooking store! Mr. Dick asks what do you want, Yea, one of everything!  Starting with the baking sheets, pie tins, oh, and a new bread bowl and ending with a few new wooden spoons.  

So, why not get off that couch and get into the kitchen and whip up a batch of Cinnamon scones. Everyone will be happy.       Thanks for the visit, Andi  



PRINT RECIPE





KING ARTHUR FRESH APPLE CINNAMON SCONES     YIELDS 12


2 3/4 cups all purpose flour
1/3 cup sugar
3/4 tsp salt
1 Tbsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon or Apple pie spice
1/2 cup cold butter  (8 Tbsp) 
3/4 cups chopped fresh apple in 1/2 inch pieces and you can leave the skin on  about half of a medium apple
3/4 cups cinnamon chips
2 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup applesauce, unsweetened preferred  (I used sweetened)

TOPPING:
3 Tbsp coarse white sparkling sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon
Hanging in the store of  King Arthur 

Using a large mixing bowl add the dry ingredients, flour, sugar, salt, baking powder and spice and whisk this together.   Work in the butter using a pastry tools or a fork until the mixture is crumbly.   

Stir in the chopped apple and the cinnamon chips
Before baking 

In another smaller bowl add the eggs and mix and then add the vanilla and the applesauce and add this to the flour mixture.  Only mix enough to combine the two.   Don't over mix.  Keep stirring it will come together. Dough is very thick.   It's ok to see pieces of butter.   Divide the dough into 2 even balls of dough.  Cover a large baking sheet with parchment paper and gently pat each of your balls of dough into a 5 -51/2 inch circle and about 3/4 inch thick. They suggested to flour the parchment paper, i didn't.  Do this on the same baking sheet with each ball of dough. Brush each circle with milk and sprinkle the tops with the sugar and cinnamon mixture.   I used a pizza cutter and cut each circle into 6 wedges.  Gently pull each cut section away for each other leaving about a 1/2  inch space between each cut piece.  Place in freezer for 30 minutes,  uncovered.   While the scones are chilling, preheat oven to 425 degrees.  Bake for 18 to 22 minutes or until golden brown.  Do not over bake them always watch your oven.    Remove from oven allow to rest and cool a bit then serve warm and enjoy 
And all I got was a HAT!  

                                                 Happy Baking my friend, Andi   

                                                         the wednesday baker


These guys greeted  us at the local farm stand
Sharing with   

Memories by the Mile featured these scones 
thecountrycook
simplelivingeating
simplysweethome
the-chicken-chick

  Memories by the Mile

What we accomplished Wednesday 

 

17 comments:

  1. I still haven't purchased any King Arthur Flour, but I'll have to soon. I'm running out of my generic brand!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow, these look and sound amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always wanted to go to King Arthur, I'd be like a kid in the candy store! Love the scones, apples and cinnamon are heaven to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look so good! the apples and cinnamon chips sound awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love scones! These look delicious. I would love for you to come to my link party at memoriesbythemile.com and share.
    Hope to see you there!
    Wanda Ann @ Memories by the Mile

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a recipe I'll have to try making, it sounds so good! Your trip must have been so much fun with your friends! I'd love a visit there too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love scones, and what a fun trip! I love King Arthur products too. Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love scones. What a great recipe. New follower here.

    ~Rina

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my gosh, Andi, I would love to visit King Arthur Flour. I once went to a show they did in Dallas on bread making and I was pretty excited about that. I really love their scone recipes and the technique of putting them in the freezer for thirty minutes before baking. I'll have to try the fresh apple cinnamon ones as I know they'll be delicious. You look so cute in your cap!! Happy weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks so much for stopping in at Cranberry Morning! The trip to King Arthur sounds like so much fun. Reminds me of when we visited the Anderson Pretzel factory in Pennsylvania. Do you find that there is that much difference using King Arthur? It's not readily available here, but I would really like your opinion. They certainly have the best packaging out there! Love it. :-)

    The scones look fantastic! Who doesn't love fresh scones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love the name of your blog.....King Arthur is more expensive than Pillsbury flour but I do like it, maybe all in my head its like "Cabot Cheese" they are owned by the farmers, so I like the idea of supporting them, I buy mostly all Cabot products. So many nice products at KA, I purchased a container of Cinnamon in late August and by Christmas it was gone....another trip to KA I have never made 2 of the same recipe one using KA and the other another brand to compare. I buy KA when my pocket book is feeling fuller. Sometimes I get a coupon, I like the idea...............thanks for the visit Andi

      Delete
  11. Those would be so good right now with a hot cup of tea........Thank you for sharing with the Clever Chicks Blog Hop this week; I hope you’ll join us again!



    Cheers,
    Kathy Shea Mormino

    The Chicken Chick

    http://www.The-Chicken-Chick.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. King Arthur is the only flour we use... good stuff. Thanks for sharing your scone recipe with us on foodie friday. Hope to see more of you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Perfect with a cup of hot tea.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Stopping by from Simple Living and Eating Blog Hop!I I love scones and make them often! These look great~ Now following on GFC Stop by sometime! Lynn H @ Turnips 2 Tangerines

    ReplyDelete
  15. Andi,
    Your scones look and sound delicious. I featured them today at memoriesbythemile.com
    Can't wait to see what you share tomorrow.
    Wanda Ann @ Memories by the Mile

    ReplyDelete
  16. These sound yummy and I like that they don't have too much sugar. I would love it if you would link up to my new linky party live right now! Have a great week :)

    Deborah

    ReplyDelete