Friday, May 4, 2012

BUTTERMILK BLUEBERRY MUFFINS

Made these blueberry muffins for brother "Dicka".  I picked wild blueberries last summer and froze them in zip lock freezer bags.  I would go every night and pick about 1 quart.  Come back home and pick them over and prepare them for the freezer.  My supply of frozen blueberries are gone, this summer I will plan to pick a few more bags then what I did last year.   It is nice to have them in the freezer for using during the winter season.   These muffins are full of flavor.   I love baking with buttermilk so knew that this recipe would be a keeper.  I found this recipe at  Joy of baking.      Happy baking my friends,     Andi






2 1/2 cups flour
3/4 cups sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
zest of one orange or lemon
1 egg
1 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup oil
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 to 2 cups of frozen or fresh blueberries

PRINT RECIPE




Preheat oven to 350 degrees   Place liners in a 12 cup muffin pan or spray with PAM spray

In a large mixing bowl add the dry ingredients and whisk.  Do not defrost the blueberries if they are frozen.  Remove about 1/4 cup of the flour mixture to sprinkle and mix in with the blueberries.  This helps to keep the blueberries from sinking to the bottom of the batter.   In a smaller bowl add the wet ingredients then add to the flour mixture.  Do Not overmix.  The batter should be somewhat lumpy and fall off in chunks as it is poured into the muffins cups.    Smaller lumps and a few streaks of flour will be absorbed during the baking process.  Sprinkle tops of the muffins with white sugar prior to baking.  



Sharing with

Six Sisters
Serenity You
Beyond the Picket Fence
Muffin Monday

9 comments:

  1. Andi,
    Hi! I'll be printing this recipe out.
    Looks good & love blueberry muffins.
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks yummy! I love a good blueberry muffin. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just ate a Costco blueberry muffin, but I bet it paled in comparison to these homemade goodies. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Andi,

    I love a good blueberry recipe. I hope my blueberry bushes can survive the rabbits this year, so I can get an actual crop!

    I'm visiting from the Muffin Monday linky party. I would love if you stopped by my my blog.

    Thanks for sharing,
    Laura, fellow New Englander

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look so good and they are just loaded with blueberries! We're so glad you joined us for "Strut Your Stuff Saturday." Thanks and come back soon!! -The Sisters

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love blueberry muffins. I'd like a muffin with a cup of coffee. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks like a great blueberry muffin recipe! Those wild blueberries looks so good, I'll bet their flavor is wonderful. We don't have them wild here.

    ReplyDelete
  8. These look perfect!
    I've featured another one of your recipes at The Big Green Bowl :-) Come check it out!
    Michael ann

    ReplyDelete